Lighthouse Therapeutic Community Outreach Foundation (Lighthouse TCO) is the spirit manifestation of its CEO Tara D. Wallace who believes every individual should have the opportunity to experience mental and emotional wellness.
Since opening my private practice I have served the Topeka community as:
As an educator, public speaker and writer, I provide training on the following topics:
Trauma and grief
Racial and ethnic disparities
- President of the Kansas African American Foster Care/Adoption Coalition (KAAFCAC);
- Board member for the Community Resources Council, Kansas Action for Children and the Shawnee County Suicide Prevention Coalition;
- Member of the Shawnee County Social Service Advisory Committee;
- Participant in the Kansas Diligent Recruitment Planning Group;
- Member of the Governor’s Child Welfare System Task Force Protective Services and Family Preservation Working Group and Kansas Citizen Review Custody to Transition Panel.
Years of working with individuals, especially those connected to the child welfare system revealed an extreme lack of education and understanding of the unique belief systems and practices held by Kansas families. This lack of cultural appreciation has resulted in a significant number of children being removed from their homes and placed into adoptive or foster care situations. These experiences often lead to a vicious and unnecessary cycle of childhood trauma that damages children and their families for generations.
Serving as a broker, facilitator, mediator, researcher and community change agent allows me to be a voice for those who have yet to discover their own.
Tara D. Wallace, MSW, LSCSW
Educator; Trauma Therapist; Speaker
Visited 49 times, 1 Visit today